Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Curbing Irritation And The Desire To Snap Back

Today I experienced two situations I have come to loathe at work; someone requested a RAT TAIL, and another client had no idea what she wanted to do with her hair.

There are things I just don't like to put my professional name on, like mullets and rat tails. They just scream dated and oh-so-awful and no self-respecting stylist wants to let anyone leave the salon with their name on such hideousness. Of course when the client has a reason like, I spent a year without hair due to chemo and I just want to remember how long my hair finally got, even though I want to cut the rest of it now...well, I make an exception.

I've gotten far better at dealing with indecisive people. I still get hung up on being slightly irritated when someone sits in my chair with no idea what they want, and after talking to them about every possible aspect of their hair needs, they sigh in the end and say it wasn't what they wanted. So, let me get this straight, you want something totally different, but you don't want to lose length. Your hair is fine and limp, but you want fullness...I am not a magician. I opt to interpret all we've discussed as re-angling layers and educating you on styling points and best product options, and yet you look at your hair and tell me you don't think it looks any different and were hoping for something new and exciting? I'm sorry, I can't believe I didn't understand that's what you wanted since I CAN'T read minds!

The whole point of a consultation is for the stylist to better understand what the client wants and whether those wants are achievable based on their hair and how much effort they want to put into it. It is far from the stylist's fault if you give no direction, even after they've spent ten minutes talking it all over with you. What is within the stylist's control is their own reaction to this no-win situation. I've learned that while I might be thinking all these things in my head the moment after the discontent with my work is aired, I refuse to allow it to ruin my day or even make me act differently towards a person who obviously cannot be pleased.

Opportunity for growth and betterment...opportunity for growth and betterment.

No comments:

Post a Comment