A watched pot never boils.
This idiom has long been my go-to phrase whenever I need to remind myself to stop obsessing about whatever it is I might be waiting to happen, or come to fruition. Beyond true, and frankly, one of the better analogies that has stood the test of time. I mean, have you ever stood by the stove waiting for the water to boil and it seems to take forever? Precisely.
For me, feelings of an unsettled nature, like when change is occurring, are not easily pushed aside. I border on being fixated, and the stress that this produces wreaks havoc on my mood, state of well-being and overall focus. I am my own worst enemy at times. The bitch of it is that, almost every time, it is more than one thing, one aspect that has me precariously positioned in a kind of high alert frame of mind. I often wonder how I might approach having just one thing to wait out, versus the usual three or four.
Certainly the fact that all that nervous, excess energy won't last long is a comfort. At least to that part of me rooted in reason. No amount of reassurance can convince my emotional side to relax and go with the flow. The past week has presented scenarios and avenues that stand to greatly alter my current life, much for the better, yet these prospects upheave my sense of balance. While I am happy this feeling of limbo rarely prevents me from moving forward, I do wish my recovery from the dizziness it causes would be far faster.
A far cry from complaining, this is an observation I have made about myself several times, yet cannot seem to prevent from happening. I am well aware that everything works out exactly as it should, and most often it is in my favor, but the lack of control, however misperceived still gets me every time. At the moment, my best action seems to be redirection; no matter how frequent it is needed. I imagine that the more I learn about myself, and come to accept about life's effects on me, the more adept at avoiding this unpleasant unrest during life flux I will eventually become.
No comments:
Post a Comment