Thursday, July 24, 2014

Every So Often I Feel As Though I Could Channel Veruca Salt

It occurs to me that longing is a gift. The slightly torturous pangs of expectation, regardless of what is being anticipated, are a colorful and vivid reminder of what we desire. Without yearning for something, or some end, we are just going about life getting and forgetting.

What I mean is that without having to exercise patience or pace ourselves, we quickly lose the depth of meaning from things that should make us feel overjoyed and full. Be it technology or the changing times, far too much of what we seek and attain comes with little effort or effects that fade too quickly. There is something to be said for striving, waiting, and eventually being bestowed with the holy grail of what we have long desired.

True and lasting appreciation comes from having held onto belief and trust that all things would eventually fall into place. How can we ever really grasp the value of the things and moments we have if we don't know how sublime the feeling of wanting and craving is? Without those aches, we cannot possibly understand the contentedness and bliss of finally feeling and having those things we sought out.

I am, at the moment, in a flux that has me anticipating several desired outcomes. The ache this has produced extends through every part of me. The energy the waiting and exercising of patience is generating is nearly more than I can bear. I will not cast aside the things that I desire simply because the road to get to them is slow and sometimes tricky to navigate. In the end, the time spent anticipating and waiting will make the rewards so much more worth having. And so much more memorable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment