Even on my best days I find it tough to be 'on' all the time. I feel honored that one of the roles I seem to serve in this lifetime is as a supportive, listening ear to those in need of friend. This doesn't mean that I don't often find myself at odds with the energy exchange that is rarely in my favor. Thankfully I have gotten better at channeling and dispelling what isn't useful to me, but what needed to be absorbed out of another person's life.
In my work I encounter people in a variety of distressful situations; both physical and emotional. If you are an active listener, and have an empathetic eye, recognizing these individuals isn't difficult. Whether I feel up to the challenge of extending myself or not, a quick reflection on how it feels to have amazing friends who provide this very outlet to me, pushes me to shelf any misgivings or irritations and listen.
Being able to do for another person, particularly one who has no other options, is what it means to be an active part of this human race. Have I stood there, faced with someone who has no sense of time, and wished they would wrap things up already? Absolutely. Of course, I immediately adjust my attitude and focus on meeting that person's need for interaction and consolation. Their absolute happiness may not be up to me, but honestly being a decent and caring person is.
When I consider the example we all are capable of setting, and obligated by empathy and compassion to attempt providing, ten minutes...hell, even an hour of my time isn't a lot to ask. Here's the surprise though, not only do I feel good about putting my own needs and interests aside to listen to someone else, I inch closer to the person I strive to be as a result. While it doesn't start out, or even ever become self-serving, there is no possible way not to benefit from this type of thing.
My life is better, because I choose better. Plain and simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment