When those little things that we take for granted suddenly stop, only then do we realize how much they were a part of our life. No matter how much we might have thought they were little annoyances or things we could live without, their absence says something entirely different. Most of us gauge our balance in life by those ordinary constants, so when they are missing, we can be slightly off kilter.
Seemingly silly as it is, this kitten and his acclimation to us and our home has highlighted a few things I'd taken for granted. His entire world changed yesterday afternoon. Every minor detail, each one of the constants he'd accepted as life in his 11-weeks was upended and taken away. I'm not going to lie, I have some guilt about that. It's one of the reasons I never wanted a kitten. Knowing we took him away from his brothers and sister, a little guilt is expected.
As excited as I am for my mother and step-father to explore the country on their way to Alaska, knowing they aren't an hour drive away is something it will take the three months they are gone to get use to. I'm sure that we will all survive, of course. I'd expect that we'll find other constants to rely on in the meantime.
The part about these little revelations that's great, is they keep me aware of things I might otherwise overlook. Sometimes perspective is only possible with reminders. Whether I choose to make the most of the opportunities these shake ups daily life present is up to me. I'm pretty sure if the kitten can adjust, so can I.
No comments:
Post a Comment