Monday, July 21, 2014

Another Step In The Better Direction

I love that my body reminds me that I shouldn't do certain things. Like after I've relived years gone by and land a couple cartwheels and round-offs, then attempt to demonstrate leg swing momentum to my son because I cannot adequately describe it with words, and my nerves start to sing their annoyingly painful song. I am not yet old, but my back didn't seem to get that memo. (Sigh)

On the bright side, I can still do both a cartwheel and a round-off fairly well. Granted I made a mental note halfway through the first one that taking my sunglasses off first would have been wise, but I stuck the landing. Participating is typically fun, though for this I think I'd rather sit back and watch my son.

It's difficult to be positive, yet accept limitations. By admitting I'm limited in whatever way I happen to be, it almost feels like a negative thing. The whole 'can't' thing...it's really a downer and my preference is to avoid using it wherever I can. Still, sometimes it is just unavoidable. Then again, I suppose I could opt for saying 'I choose not to do A because I'd really rather B didn't happen.', and then it's a choice and not so much a limitation.

Instead. Providing all the energy backing up the use of this word is positive, I'm inclined to make better use of it over self-defeating and self-limiting words. Also, I have a propensity for using the phrase 'I wish I could'; doesn't seem negative at first, but the limitations it immediately imposes are all kinds of negative. There are things I once did, and no longer do, because the outcome of pain does not appeal to me. Continuing to see my choices to remain as pain free as possible as drawbacks or negatives doesn't really serve my state of mind or overall emotional well-being. Adaptability is great, but the attitude with which it is embraced is crucial.

A friend called 'bullshit' on me yesterday for a statement I made that was oozing negativity. Despite the fact that I didn't necessarily feel negativity as I made the statement, he was 100% right. When I miss the opportunities to correct my own direction and negative utterances, it is great to know I have friends who keep me on the positive path.

The only real constant in life is change, and it is up to us to put all that positive energy out there to make the most of those changes. Every change brings me to where I am now, and where I will be tomorrow. Alternatives, options, and unexpected change all have a positive side which is far more beneficial to embrace. The last thing we should be doing is naysaying with negatives, not when the good stuff is so much better for us and those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment