I love OTTO pizza. Even their gluten free crust. Who would've thought squash, ricotta cheese and cranberries would make epic toppings? LOVE them!
During the past two years, one of the things I have missed most being gluten free is pizza. Really, bread dough of any kind. It's next to impossible to find adequate substitutes for the soft, chewy decadence wheat flour creates. It is sad and there is not suitable comfort. Sure, there are bread offerings in the freezer case of most supermarket health food sections, and while they are passable, they are not the real thing. By far, the best tasting crust for pizza sans gluten around these parts is from Portland Pie Company (imo). It still isn't the original. (sigh)
When you're seeking consolation or replacement...an alternative to what you once loved, there are always aspects that will never truly fit the bill. After all, what you find isn't what you once had and loved, and never could be. The negative effects of gluten consumption, for me, are enough to avoid consuming them, but that doesn't mean I won't continue the search for substitutions. My comfort food has long been bread type products, so giving them up entirely is just out of the question.
I have found that at the very least, the cravings for such foods is somewhat satisfied with some gf selections. I have accepted replacements for beer, pizza, pasta and some baked goods. I rarely pout about not having the wheat versions of these, but as for bread, I'm still searching for a brand that doesn't leave me chugging half a liter of water with every bite because it's insanely dry. I believe I am slowly accepting that my life will be absent of amazing bread, but I will manage to get along just the same. No sense pining over what once was.
Taking stock in the numerous food options available to me every day, I celebrate my two favorite gf beers, my favorite pasta and I enjoy testing out gf versions of old favorites. Life isn't perfect and I know I can't have it all, so embracing the things I do have and can enjoy makes the sting of what is gone forever a bit less painful. And OTTO gave me a little more to be happy about tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment