Information is something that I have come to realize I thrive on. I need details, facts, and examples to keep things tied together in my head. Otherwise I have all these random thoughts floating around vying for my attention and I don't exactly always know why. Crazy? Probably, but who isn't?
When I say I like details, I don't mean gossipy details. Truthfully, I come by those fairly regularly just because of my gender, and of course my choice of career. When someone talks about their significant other, I love hearing how they met. A client talks about their kids, I'm compelled to ask how many, their ages, etc. I enjoy hearing about people's lives, though that should not be mistaken for an opportunity to complain and whine about their negative garbage. We've all got it, but people don't need to know or hear about every last horrible event in our lives.
I like being able to witness positive attitudes helping someone rise above their difficult times. It's probably why I'm such a sucker for underdogs. When a person refuses to let hard times define them, but instead draws strength and motivation from them...that's inspirational.
Seeing a person's character is far better than just hearing about how well adjusted, dedicated or admirable they are from others. For me it's similar to reading a book instead of watching the movie. Taking in details and seeing a fuller picture without the prejudice of outside influence...our minds were are designed to work hard and decipher the world around us. Information from nearly anywhere can build a clearer picture, but only the right kind of information can paint a beautiful scene.
No comments:
Post a Comment