Monday, February 10, 2014

Love Our Furrball Like Nothing Else









Watching my cat sleep off and on all day (and seeing numerous pet videos that made me tear up), I felt fortunate to know he is so incredibly loved by my sons and I. He has definite reactions and relationships with each of us. Somehow he seems to know that I'm mom and what I say goes, he loves to sit and chill with Brayden, but he jumps up and runs to greet Riley from wherever he may be. Like it or not, Riley is his favorite human. Given the choice between spots to curl up and cuddle, he will nearly always choose the one next to Riley, even if it's a tight squeeze. I'm somewhat jealous of this, though since I sit on the same sofa, I often get quality kit-kat time. So many animals are not given the love and life that allows them to be happy and relatively carefree, and this baffles and saddens me greatly. A house without a loved, treasured and spoiled pet is no home I would ever want to call mine. Domesticated animals are dependent on us for everything, the most important thing being love.









Sure he may get under foot and cause near neck-breaking falls down the stairs, he scratches my furniture when I'd prefer he didn't, there's the never-ending maintenance of a litter box, and he seems hell bent on waking us up periodically in the wee hours of the day. We might mutter that he's a jerk, or accidentally step on him when he decides to stop midway as we descend/ascend the stairs, but the moment he mews or jumps up to lay across our legs it's all forgotten.







It's amusing to watch him maneuver himself up into a chair and then plop down as though he were a person; arm perched on the armrest, staring out the sliding glass door. I love how he mimics us talking to him and meows back as though he's answering. This 16lbs of fluffy feline has brought so much love into our lives, I cannot imagine there will come a day when we will have to say goodbye.


He is not the most spoiled cat, but we adore him and are happy he is part of our family. I only wish that all furrkids were given the blessing of loving and caring families. As I sit here, my leg nearly asleep from supporting the weight of Sim-sim's sleeping girth, I know we are just as lucky to have him as he is to have us. For as long as we are allotted, this cat will be showered with everything we have.




No comments:

Post a Comment