There are things about parenting that I have chosen to be lenient or accepting of when it comes to my sons' behaviors. Were you to meet my boys in person, spend any amount of time with them, it's likely you wouldn't ever suspect they both swear like their mother. Colorful metaphors are perhaps some of my favorite means of expression.
Cuss words are engaging; I adore them. Does this make me less respectable or unfit to raise children? I hardly think it does either. Oddly enough, I believe this 'freedom of speech' at home is exactly why my boys are respectful everywhere else they go. I'd rather address issues at home then have to make apologies for them elsewhere.
There are far more things I would rather expend energy on than attempting to censor my sons' exploration of verbal expression. As long as they continue to do laundry, clean dishes, change their bedding and generally help with household chores, I'll consider their upbringing to be somewhat successful. Not focusing on what I see as trivial, allows me more time to instill life skills and important lessons.
How I approach my role as mom probably wouldn't work for everyone, but it works well for me. My sons are pretty badass, so I can't see the point in changing a thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment