Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Person's Greatest Value Is In Their Soul

I don't want what everyone else has. No, really I don't. I like the color green, just not on my soul. Every person I encounter has a different lifestyle; they do or don't have, but that doesn't mean I covet any of it.

There are nice vehicles, beautiful homes, amazing clothes and a never ending list of 'wants' that I cannot be bothered to envy. Why? There isn't enough time in the day to properly enjoy what my life is already blessed with, I wouldn't want to waste a second of it aching for the things I see that someone else may possess. People around me, whether I know them and they are part of my life or not, will always have something that I do not, but that doesn't mean I should cast aside the things I do have or compare apples to oranges.

I have never been wholly impressed by stature or wealth, of course I have never found myself thinking ill of someone for having both. Who I am has little to do with the things I have or some status quo I have not seemed to reach yet. My friends are my friends because of their sense of humor, their generosity of spirit and the overall aura they bring to my life. How they dress, what they look like, what they drive and who else they are friends with are not factors I focus on.

It is unimaginable to me that anyone who values material things or begrudges anyone who has more could ever be a person I would consider a friend. We are all here on this same planet ultimately attempting to do the same thing; live. Not everyone copes with life in the same way, so I work continuously on being more accepting and less judgmental. Everyone's comfort and sense of self-worth is based on their own life story, and who am I to label their choices and values wrong or right?

Acceptance doesn't mean agreement; what works for me does not always work for someone else. I don't need material excess to discover what I value and thrive with, but it doesn't mean another person is wrong if they do. This applies, at least for me, to relationships as well. When I am part of a couple, I do not surround myself with only other 'coupled' people, just as when I am single I do not associate with only other singletons. The relationship circumstance my friends have only serves to add interesting value to my personal relationship with them. Sometimes I identify with that part of their life, and sometimes I stand back and just admire it.

Ultimately, the most important thing a person can possess is their willingness to openly share. What they have? Sure, if that so suits them, but to share their experiences, emotions and enthusiasm for life - that is what life should be about. There is no perfect way to be, no list of dos and don'ts that are universally correct; I'm satisfied to weigh a person's value on their soul and manner of being and let financial institutions and assessors continue to value possessions. The human spirit is immeasurable, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment