Saturday, February 22, 2014

One Day Not Too Long From Now, I Will Be Part Of The Older Generation

One of my favorite parts about the job I do is the opportunity to build relationships with people I might not otherwise meet. Regardless of how small town the area I work in truly is, I simply wouldn't cross paths with most of the people I am fortunate to call my clients were it not for what I do. It's probably the biggest reason I can't bring myself to work full-time in a salon closer to our new home. My soul is sewn into the fabric of my hometown.

I have the biggest soft spot for my older clientele. They have the life experiences that fascinate me, and whether they recall their lives in their entirety, or just bits and pieces, I find the time I spend with them incredible. Stories of simpler times, of growing up in an age that had moved on long before I was born have always grabbed my attention. Whether it is the first time I've heard a yesteryear yarn or the fiftieth, there is something relaxing about it.

Some of my older clients have dementia or Alzheimer's and while it is true I feel somewhat sad they have slowly lost so much of their life and independence, I am also amazed at the resilience of our minds. Long term memory is a gift, and though short term memory with these conditions becomes non-existent, it is a blessing the individual does not remember they are losing a battle with the cognitive functions they once possessed.

Routine, even if it isn't remembered minutes later, still brings a sort of calm to what can only be horribly frightening journey. Aging men and women remember many things from earlier in life, like a favorite food, family get-togethers, siblings, and yes, even haircuts. Trips to the barber or the beautician are one of the more frequent recollections shared with me by my older clientele. This, understandably, is of particular interest to me. A combination of history and hair, it's the next best thing to being able to travel back in time to experience what this job was like a lifetime ago.

Yes, my older clients have a special place in my heart and I cannot imagine a week at work without them. The interactions are somehow just a bit more real, maybe because these human treasures never became so wrapped up in social media and impersonal forms of communique. Those things are a part of my daily life, and while I enjoy the dimension and accessibility of technology, being reminded of a simpler, more basic time has a way of maximizing my appreciation for any of it.

I hope that when I reach that age I am able to convey memories that create the same fascination in the younger generation as the current older generation has done for me. Should there be a younger woman or man cutting, curling and styling my hair on a weekly or monthly basis, I hope that they are patient, kind, and show genuine interest in whatever I may be able to share verbally. May the art of face-to-face conversation not be lost among the social networks and instant messaging apps we have become so immersed in today. That we preserve timeless communication techniques...this is just one of my hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment