Over the past seventeen years I've learned a thing or two about active listening and effective compassion. Every so often I find I need to draw on those skills. And I find I'm grateful to be the listening ear and the shoulder of support. Focusing on people gets me out of my own head and makes me realize what an amazing and complex thing life really is.
Sharing in someone's joy, pain, confusion, or anticipation helps me view the world around me through a wider lens. Not only do alternate solutions present themselves, new bonds and deeper friendships are created through understanding. It is a privilege to be confided in, shared with and leaned upon.
Sometimes just stepping out of your own life long enough to be welcomed inside someone else's is enough to appreciate yourself and who you are to those around you. Most of us don't know our true worth. Being able to see through the eyes and hearts of those closest to us makes it easier to acknowledge and believe our full value.
No comments:
Post a Comment