Saturday, October 15, 2016

Well, Now That That's Settled, Let's Get On With The Writing

I've had my nose to the grind for some time now. The hard work paid off in the form of securing work for the next year. When you're a writer that works on contract, there is no greater feeling than the consistency of a long-term gig.

There are some pretty great things about being a contract worker and there are some not-so-great things. The lack of security and steady flow of work can be worrisome. There are essentially no benefits like vacation or sick time, and often no health insurance. Thankfully, I have two decades of experience with no benefits as a hair stylist. Still, it's nice having health insurance, so I won't complain about the lack of vacation pay or sick time. I rarely use those things anyway.

Honestly, aside from those things, there isn't much I would change. The freedom to work from home and have a flexible schedule is nearly priceless for me these days. Sure I have deadlines that dictate my weeks, but ultimately I have more freedom than I would if I had to schlep to an office every day.

Knowing I don't have to worry about where I will find work for a good while I can concentrate on maximizing this freedom. I have managed to get a whole lot accomplished while working from home, but my own personal writing has suffered. I'm hoping that being able to just focus on work instead of also job hunting I will be able to establish a writing routine again. Honestly, the hardest part is just committing to it.

No matter what I end up doing, making the most of this next year is absolutely essential. My total well-being depends on it. At least that's how I'm choosing to look at it in the hopes it might just be the motivation I need to get back on the writing wagon. Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment