Stardate 94360.1: I love Star Trek. Particularly, the Next Generation. Patrick Stewart is by far my favorite, though I must admit that I am watching the series from the beginning, once again, to see how many times I can see the weird leg-lift-swing sitting thing Johnathan Frakes does as Commander Will Riker. Episode three and I have yet to see this much talked about action that has filled compilation videos on social media.
The one thing I have noticed is that the theatrics and cinematography certainly evolved over the seven-year run of this series. Myself, I am a fan of the first season for the unapologetic nod to the original series via over-dramatization of some situational encounters. Even with the sometimes over the top seriousness, these actors are some of my all-time favorites and I cannot imagine this series being anything other than the amazing awesomeness that it was, is and always will be.
The reality that Gene Roddenberry created with both the original and Next Generation series wasn't one of perfection, it was one of hope and a better world. At least that is the way I have always seen it. Without a doubt, the world this incredible, talented soul wrote into existence presented concepts and possibilities that are well within our ability to bring about in our own reality. The stories and situations are akin to a detailed roadmap that anyone can follow.
So much of what takes place on the pages (or screen, depending on how you choose to get your Trek fix) resonates with anyone who has been entertained by the stories. Beyond the hokey characters, the somewhat dated perspectives (male-female interactions) the message of acceptance, positive change, and betterment comes through with little effort to see it all. To be better than we were yesterday, be more open and to sow more seeds of good than bad.
As a child, I wanted to live on the Enterprise and grow up in the world than captivated my attention every time an episode graced my television screen. Not much has changed since those days stretching out on the floor in front of the boob-tube, chin propped on upturned hands. I may be long grown up, but if given the chance, I'd most definitely choose to board an Enterprise class starship if it meant immersing myself in Roddenberry's world.
No comments:
Post a Comment