I had not, until last night, watched any of the presidential debates. I loathe politics — more specifically, I loathe the state of politics today. I am not a fan of either party's offering, and while I freely admit that he is far worse than she, I cannot simply vote the lesser of the evils. In my opinion, the only way this rotten cycle of bad and even worse is going to end is if those of us who feel bullied into choosing between the two front runners refuse to play along with those rules any longer.
Overall, I'd consider my interests to be compiled of human rights and equality. It matters little to me where you are from or whether you were born here. If you are a caring, relatively positive soul, I want the best for you. I want the best for everyone, though there are some people out there who make it difficult to maintain an unencumbered impression. Life would be far easier to navigate if everyone understood that doing for themselves helped them enjoy life on a far deeper level than expecting others to do for them. Granted, there are situations where doing for oneself requires the assistance of someone else, but that is entirely different than expecting a handout.
Whether it is learned behavior or laziness, not being a contributing part of society is paramount to the decline of human kindness and decency. People with giving natures can only pay it forward so much before the cynicism and monotony creep in. I have an equally difficult time supporting a candidate that spouts hate and seeks to undermine peace as I do one that makes promises that fall flat because of years of flip-flopping on key issues. There will likely never be a perfect option for president, but out of all the people in this country, there have got to be far better people to choose from then who the Elephants and Donkeys have given us this go-round.
Voting aside, I happen to be in a relationship with a history lover who has watched all three episodes of the circus of the lame. I think I may have stomped my feet at the mere mention of the debates in the past, but he is generally interested and given he has no other irritable qualities thus far, I watched the first 10 minutes with him. Thankfully, my son was finishing his work shift and I had to go pick him up. I won't even comment on those ten minutes except to say I'm glad that is all I was subjected to.
It is absolutely wonderful to agree to disagree with someone and not have any lingering resentment or ill feelings toward each other. Being able to remain an individual while being part of a couple is how it should be. Amazing what the Universe serves up when you're finally ready to recognize it.
No comments:
Post a Comment