Saturday, October 22, 2016

Rainy Day Catch Up

This rainy weather makes me want to curl up on the couch and binge watch Netflix all day. Sadly, I have to go out in it at some point, and as much as the weekend promises a bit of relaxing, I'll be cramming in all the little things I didn't get to during the week. Today is already feeling like some serious coffee-fueling is mandatory.

My intent is to put a dent in the backlog of posts I have for this blog. I'd like to get caught up at some point. What would be even better would be having a bit of a jump by having a few posts set aside, but there's no point in kidding myself there. Just getting caught up will be an accomplishment.

Aside from the writing, there's baking to do. Fall is the best time to try out new recipes, at least in my opinion, and I've got a few that I'm anxious to tackle. Here's the thing; when you eat gluten-free and low-carb, baking is tricky. I've had a number of kitchen fails in this department, but when things come out good, well I add that shit to my collection of must make recipes.

I've also been considering what my holiday baking is going to entail. I thoroughly enjoy making up gift baskets of homemade treats every year, but the limited window of time in which I need to make it all would stress me out without a plan. I used to make a variety of cookies and candied items, though in recent years the lack of workable kitchen space has definitely caused me to choose what I make more carefully. Sadly, this year won't be much different. I have found a big downside to renting is that the kitchens are always lacking in space and functionality. Oh, and the oven in this house sucks major ass! Grrr!

The mister has graciously offered use of his oven, though I suspect this might be somewhat self-serving. No matter, it is highly likely I'd spoil him with baked goods and candies anyway, so it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. The most challenging aspect of this holiday goodie operation will be making certain the package I send to my sister and family in Florida withstands the US Postal service.

Time for breakfast and then it's shopping for cold weather foods. I suppose it's a good thing I enjoy cooking, because I see a lot of it in the near future. Well fed, healthy and happy - what more is there in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment