Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Good Habits, Healthier Life

I love that my sons have followed suit and work out somewhat regularly. Being a Beachbody coach, I have access to a wide-array of workouts, but these two seem to gravitate toward my favorites. It always makes me smile. Particularly because I no longer have to bribe or twist their arms to own their health and fitness.

If there was one thing I would change, it would be their choice in timing. I love my early morning schedule, but lately, it appears the boys do, too. For a moment, I feel a little irritable when one of them beats me downstairs, but that quickly dissipates because seeing them taking care of themselves is worth having to wait my turn. In an ideal world, we'd have a basement spacious enough for all of us to be down there at once. I'll take a healthy family over getting the first workout of the day in our tiny home gym.

Sometimes I wonder if either of them will maintain their routine when they are not living at home anymore. Getting your sweat on at home, by yourself is far different from going to a gym. I've done both and my preference is home. Much like work, I have a specific mindset that I don't like interrupted with socializing. Get in, do what I need to do and get out. Chatting me up just throws off my pace and frankly, wastes my time. I know people who love going to a gym, especially because of the social aspect. Whatever works for you, do it. I'll be over here by myself, happy I don't have to get in a cold car and drive anywhere.

Maybe part of my reluctance to socialize when I'm focused on training is due to that tiny part of me that grumbles and groans whenever I roll out of bed and change into yoga pants and a sports bra. It's rare that I am 100% charged for pushing myself six days a week, but I'm thankful that resistant part of me gets out voted every time. There have been days when I hem and haw and I get down there later than I want, but it's rare that I give in. Having my sons making the choice to start their day this way, despite the fact that they don't do it every day, is usually the kick in the pants I need on the days when that part of me is throwing a tantrum.

Three years ago, I ordered my first Beachbody program and convinced my sons to do it with me. I had no real equipment and didn't have much extra cash to invest in it. A couple of dumbbells, a yoga mat and ball, and a couple of resistance bands rounded out the tools we started with. After that first 90 days, I knew my back was strong enough for more, and I was hooked on how I felt just doing Tony Horton's P90. From there, a friend introduced me to Body Beast with Sagi Kalev and I knew I'd found the program for me. It took a year and a half after starting Body Beast to decide to become a coach. In truth, I signed up for the discounts, but have come to fully believe in the company and what they offer.

I've just hit my year mark of coach status and I want to do more than just save on products and programs. Watching my sons benefit from healthy choices, it's difficult to not want to share that with others. I just have a few hurdles to get over with what that kind of role means and what I need to do to make that switch. Good thing I'm already used to pushing myself to get things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment