Monday, October 17, 2016

Hard Days That Have Me Working Like A Dog

Ever have those days when you wake up feeling hurried, rushed...already so far behind? This is usually prior to a trip or some event that has been approaching. Understandably, it's just the excitement causing the feeling that I'm running out of time to either prepare or just get all the necessary stuff done before the clock runs out. And then there are those times when I'm legitimately running ragged from the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning.

Far from complaining, I have learned to breathe in between the moments I feel the most taxed and appreciate that I have a full enough life to occasionally make it a blur. I'm gainfully employed, well-fed and my sons have all they need and more. We have a good life, one that I worked hard to provide. It took hard work to get here and it goes without saying that it will take hard work to maintain it all.

There was a time when I grumbled about long hours and being tired at the end of the week. I can't say that I'd love working crazy hours constantly, but I'm not afraid of busting my ass whenever I need to. I am happiest when I feel accomplished and working diligently on multiple things usually provides that feeling that I've been productive enough to meet goals or deadlines. That goes a long way toward the next round of jam-packed work hours.

I can't imagine what life would be like if I didn't understand and embrace applying myself to the job at hand. Not taking the initiative to get things done seems like a waste of time and intelligence. There are so many character-building moments that can happen when you rise above the negative thoughts of being stuck doing one thing when you'd rather be doing another. The way of life is to work for those few moments of play. Unless you're independently wealthy or have no qualms living the life of a nomad, it takes a fair amount of money to balance out your days with the freedom to do things you choose to do.

Maybe I'm foolish to have so much of my self-worth and identity tied up in what I do for a vocation, or how well I do it, but it has only helped my sense of well-being and self-assuredness and that can't be a bad thing. I may miss out on things I would enjoy here and there, but when I am able to kick back and experience life beyond my home office it's pretty damned amazing. I'm fully present and aware of what it means to be fortunate, alive and free. That's about all I truly need to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment