There is a fine line between having fun and being mean. I find that it is often difficult to keep from appearing mean to those who might not understand my humor. It's true what they say, you can't please everyone.
I may have stepped over the line during a Live video last night on Facebook. Filming people without their knowledge or consent isn't something I do usually, so while I did do that a bit while in my hometown, I managed to preserve these people's anonymity. At least I tried to.
Yes, I intentionally act like a bit of a snooty princess and no, I don't actually mean half of what I say. When it comes to my hometown, it's a bit like having siblings - you can make fun of them, but anyone else risks getting their ass kicked. I'm exercising my 'birthright' and poking fun at the places and faces I grew up with.
For the record, as much of the things that have been said about my hometown that are true, there are an equal number of things that are not. I reserve the right to make fun of all of it, though I mean no detriment to anyone as a result. Maybe it's wrong, but exploiting it all in the name of entertainment is the way I choose to go.
Maybe it's because I have no reservations about laughing at my own shortcomings and faux pas, that I can put on my princess tiara and assume the role of judging tourist. There are a number of good qualities about Lewiston and the people who still call it home. A fair number of my family members still live and work there, and they know I mean no harm when I poke fun at the stereotypical traits long associated with the town. I'm certain that those who find my musing the most entertaining are those who call L-town home.
I enjoy exploring the humorous side of life and sometimes that can be walking a line between benign and harmful. I doubt I will stop taking advantage of the obvious material when I'm 'documenting' my lame excursions and outings, be entertained or move along on your way. A joke is supposed to make light of things, and while it can be taken too far, most of the time it is all in good fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment