Saturday, October 29, 2016

Tough Choices

A year ago yesterday I had foot surgery. While my surgeon is impressed with the range of motion I have re-gained (more than I'd had for years prior to the surgery), I've had to accept the likelihood that the daily discomfort and intermittent pain are here to stay. It's quite likely that I'd experience far less of both were I to workout less, or not at all. That is not an option I ever plan to consider, as the main reason I opted to have the operation was to increase the flexion and mobility when lunging.

I traded heels in for flat shoes as a result of this procedure, and though I do miss wearing the bulk of shoes I can't yet bear to part with, being able to get low in a lunge and generally workout without impingement is worth sacrificing my inner fashionista. Cute shoes are great, but muscles are a far sexier thing to wear. 

Sometimes I think that we forget that choices aren't always between positive and negative outcomes. I traded one issue for another with that surgery. At the end of the day, though, I will take the increased range of motion over being pain-free. I can still walk with no real issues and the discomfort is definitely related to arthritis, which I figure I better get used to. Had I not opted for surgery, my joint would have eventually fused to the bone and I would have had to deal with near total loss of mobility on top of the pain. Pretty sure I made the right choice on this one. 

I still moan and groan about the discomfort, but ultimately I know it could be so much worse. This is a rationalization I need to apply to my current writing dilemma. I'm 10 posts behind and I just signed up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month for those of you unfamiliar with the acronym), which means I'm likely to get a whole lot further behind. I hate falling short of a goal. Right now I am annoyed with myself for not being able to do it all. Heaven forbid I actually accept being human. 

At the moment, I'm realizing that I've done NO planning for the 30-day writing challenge, and it begins Tuesday. As difficult as it is for me to do, I am going to have to put this blog on a sort of hiatus during November. That just means an overload of posts in December at over two a day. I'm determined to make this work and finish this round of 365 by the end of 2016. I'm also determined to write 50,000 words and finish the first draft of a book by the end of November. Carpal tunnel be damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment