Friday, October 7, 2016

Not Every Moment Is Going To Be The Best Ever

Where in the hell did the week go? I'm not wishing the weekend away, but damn, feels like it was just Monday. I don't think I will ever get used to time passing so slow some days and faster than I can process on others. And never when I want it to happen that way.

If I'm on vacation, spending time with people I love, or simply enjoying life it always seems to rush by. Waiting for something, having nothing in particular to do, or enduring a painful life lesson all drag on incredibly long. Maddening at best, as I would love for that feeling of time standing still to have taken over for a while during some of the best moments in my life. 

Of course, this isn't the way time works. The unpleasant or less than enjoyable moments in life seem to last forever because in the midst of them we often focus on how much we'd rather be doing something else, essentially brooding about it. Negative thoughts, no matter how small they may seem, often perpetuate the opposite of what we want. 

Arduous tasks and mind-numbing meetings don't have to drone on for what seems like ages. We might not be able to do much in the way of slowing down our perception of time when we are having fun. Positive thoughts and energy get us moving and thinking, lightening our whole life experience when we are in that incredible space, so apart from stepping back to appreciate a moment, it's likely always going to feel as though it went by too fast. Those moments we'd rather pass on then endure, however, we just have to learn to get creative about how we perceive them. 

It's all too tempting to think about all the things we'd rather be doing or even where we will be at the end of the day/moment. More than half of the time we don't even realize we are the ones responsible for how painfully slow the minutes seem to be passing. We aren't focused on the here and now, so what's to come seems as though it may never arrive. I'd love to spend my days doing only the things that I enjoy, but then life would be over before I know. I can choose to focus on some aspect of whatever less than thrilling task I'm in the middle of that isn't altogether awful. It may not bring about the end of the day at the speed with which those fun days pass, but it certainly takes some of the drag out of it. 

Whenever I find myself wishing time would speed up enough to get me to the next enjoyable experience, I take a step back and appreciate the opportunity to grow and see things with a less critical mind. My mindset has the most to do with how I experience everything. I can't reserve the open, positive energy just for those moments that are easy to enjoy, I have to draw it into the ones that require more effort. All the minutes and hours between those that we look forward to shouldn't be wished away. Finding a way to value all of it is the best way to truly live and enjoy this existence to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment