It occurred to me the other day that I am not as in touch with the world around me, or as knowledgable about the things I'd like to be. In fact, I feel as though I'm quite sheltered, and maybe even a little bit ignorant. This frustrates me, but more importantly it has me thinking 'why' and 'what can I do about it'.
I'm not unhappy with the person I am, though I know I'm capable of more. I use to read a broader array of genres, and lately I'm aware I've been in a YA rut. Why? They are easy, interesting, and the perfect escape because of the effort most authors put into creating the world their story takes place in. That and I have toyed with writing my own.
Since moving to South Portland, I have (thanks to my amazing and much younger friend) tried numerous new restaurants and bars, gotten to socialize and meet new people, and been filled with an energy I have been missing for quite some time. My willingness to try new things and take slightly larger risks has certainly increased, but I lack the clarity of mind to really hone in on diverse experiences. I am still too immersed in motherhood to truly branch out and indulge in my own interests to any great extent. Given my sons ages I ought to put forth more effort to start building a foundation for that fast approaching empty nest.
I have no issues admitting that I'm green when it comes to culture. I'm aware it exists in many forms, but having spent a majority of my life in an area that does not boast much in the way of culture, it's no surprise I have serious limitations. Much as I would love to travel to destinations rich with culture and history, my current life does not allow for that. Fortunately there are books and web sites that make nearly anything, any place explorable. Maybe picking a country to read about and tour virtually, while learning more about its history will suffice.
There are many things that I am, but today I want to start working on becoming more than just a small town Maine girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment