Ever get a glimpse into someone else's life and realize just how much you don't know? Like just seeing what they're interests are or what they do for a living, and having zero clue about any of it. Initially, whenever this happens I fight the whole 'I'm an idiot and I have no culture' feeling of inferiority. Of course, in a few minutes I laugh at myself, because there is no possible way I can know or have experienced everything in life; I mean, that would defeat the whole purpose of getting to know other people and being exposed to different things.
I'm intelligent, but there are far smarter people around me. I came out of the awkward years looking surprisingly good, but there are so many who possess amazing, stunning beauty. I can string words together fairly well, yet there are those with far more talent and imagination. I am more than okay with being average in these respects. There is one thing that I do better than anyone else; one thing that always makes me shake my head at ever being foolish enough to entertain the feeling of being 'less than' others in life, and that is that I am the best me there could ever be.
No one else could ever be the mom I am to my sons, the daughter, sister or granddaughter I am, and while there may be more eloquent, skilled writers, no one could ever express what is on my mind better than I can. How do I know this? The same way I know that each and every person in my life is the best at being them. All imitations would leave any connections I share lacking and off-color.
Everyone has at least one moment in their life where they felt out of their element or as though they didn't measure up to the situation and people around them. The thing is we can't be great at, know, or have done everything. We can, however, be who we are, and make no apologies. Those who get you will embrace you, those who don't - well, maybe there just isn't anything to be gained by either party. We don't have to impress others, find ourselves equal with, or gain approval from everyone we encounter.
As simple as it seems, just being who I am, being as good or skilled as I can be at whatever I do, is enough for me to confidently brush off any feeling of insecurity or otherwise self-defeating thoughts. Shouldn't we all just be amazed at who we are, instead of listing all the things we aren't? I'm not über brilliant, but I'm pretty sure the world would be a somewhat happier place if we all allowed ourselves to be amazed by all we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment