This saying, either as it is or variations of it, is always at the forefront of my thinking. I may not always choose the right path, but in the end I'd rather do something positive. Even if it means I'm part of the minority.
I have long been of the opinion that it is best to appreciate those who handle your food, cut your hair, and wipe your ass when you need it. There are some grueling and thankless jobs out there, but if no one did them, exactly where would we all be? I'll tell you where; starving (or at the very least having to constantly cook for ourselves), looking unruly (doesn't seem all that bad until you need to put your best self forward for oh say a job interview), and sitting in a disgusting mess (when you are unable to care for yourself, this is a BIG deal).
While I can't change the overall disregard people have for many service industry jobs, I can alter the way I show my appreciation. It isn't enough to tip well, or be nice. How you treat someone in these vocations should set an example to everyone around you. It should also reinforce to those doing the jobs that they are worthwhile, and what they do does mean something. They should be shown or told, on a regular basis that they are needed and make a difference. No fluff or smoke being blown up anyone's backside; decency is something we are all capable of and something we all deserve.
When someone is rude or demeaning the impact is immediate and long-lasting. It can cause the wrong kind of ripple effect. Each and everyone of us has the opportunity to intercept that effect and push back with something more positive; to not let what we perceive as bad or less than stellar service influence how we act in return.
While I always try to take extenuating circumstances into consideration, sometimes I forget to take a beat to breathe. The difference between a shitty day spreading like wildfire, and one that turns around for the better is often just one person willing to be positive, despite the resistance they may encounter. A smile, a kind word or gesture, and the willingness to ignore negativity are all that stands between a society stuck taking people for granted and one that knows how to show it's humanity.
When someone is rude or demeaning the impact is immediate and long-lasting. It can cause the wrong kind of ripple effect. Each and everyone of us has the opportunity to intercept that effect and push back with something more positive; to not let what we perceive as bad or less than stellar service influence how we act in return.
While I always try to take extenuating circumstances into consideration, sometimes I forget to take a beat to breathe. The difference between a shitty day spreading like wildfire, and one that turns around for the better is often just one person willing to be positive, despite the resistance they may encounter. A smile, a kind word or gesture, and the willingness to ignore negativity are all that stands between a society stuck taking people for granted and one that knows how to show it's humanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment