Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Can I Please Just Go Back To Regular Sneezing?

The older I get, the more I appreciate the value in seeking out more natural remedies for common ailments. One of the things I have always dreaded about aging, was the likelihood of finding myself with multiple prescriptions for an assortment of maladies. I'm nowhere near old enough for this to be the case, but I figured the more of my current health I take into my own hands, the better. Now and down the road.

Since I can remember I have been plagued with seasonal allergies. I remember how bad my mother's first husband (that is how I choose to refer to him) had them and I always hoped mine would never reach that level of severity. Unfortunately, they have. Mix into that a mild little case of asthma and it's a full blown recipe for breathing hell.

I find myself at odds with all the medications available for this affliction; partly because they only scratch the surface of symptoms, and because I hate putting that stuff into my system. The problem with natural remedies is that it takes multiple types of roots, extracts and such to combat each allergen. And then there is the whole asthma thing. So far nothing homeopathic is a viable alternative to inhalers.

Allergy season seems to bring out the Captain Obvious in nearly everyone. I find it somewhat amusing when people either offer advice like 'you should take something for that', as though those of us who suffer seasonally are completely unaware there are such options. And then there are those who seem unable to stop themselves from blurting 'I'm so glad I don't have allergies', because having that kind of heavenly existence dangled in front of my face makes it all better. I've spent a majority of my adult life going through the spring and fall sneezing, wheezing, and running for the tissues in the middle of a hair cut, and overall, my clients are far more understanding and sympathetic than Captain Obvious. For that I am immensely thankful.

Now, by my best estimate, the severity of these symptoms should subside in a week or two; hopefully not leading to pneumonia. No joke. If I cannot get my whole upper respiratory system in check, I will be wishing for my current state of malaise.

As much as I love the promise and freshness of spring, I dread it at the same time. Try as I might to refrain from whining, there are days when it is near impossible to avoid. There are far worse conditions out there to have, and most of the time I just accept my lot. Today is just not one of those days; I am regrettably ornery when I have not slept and cannot breathe freely. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a better one. I won't soon forget how easily I take my general good health for granted. And considering I've managed to miss all winter sickness, I suppose a couple of weeks in allergy hell won't be so bad. At least I know there's an end in sight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment