Sunday, April 6, 2014

No Matter How Old They Get, They Will Always Be My Babies

Watching my children sleep was always something I loved. Even now, on the rare occasions they fall asleep where they sit, seeing their peaceful, at rest faces makes me smile. In that instant, they are the little angels they once were. While they're traversing their dreamscape, I'm reliving their lives from the moment they were born.

My cousin and his wife welcomed their son into the world today. He joins an excited big brother, and has instantly become part of our amazing family. I have been through the incredible, overwhelming joy of meeting the child I carried for over nine months, twice. Each time was amazing, and as I have watched them grow that amazement never fades. Far from the tiny hands, soft skin and coos of infancy, each of my sons still possess a quality of those first months that is only visible when they are sleeping.

There are a few things that, if I had the chance to do over again, I would do quite differently. Having my sons is not one of them. Being a single mother, solely responsible for their care, security, and growth has been more fulfilling and meaningful then anything else I have ever done, or will ever do. These two are the very best of me. If ever I doubt my purpose in life, all I have to do is look at them and know I'm doing exactly what I was meant to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment