Entertainment is watching the pilot episode of Star Trek. I had no idea that Leonard Nimoy was the only original cast member from the beginning. The over-dramatization, the gender roles, the overt-yet-trying-to-be-subtle sexual tension. Yeah, this kind of television was well ahead of its time for sure.
I do think I prefer JJ Abrams reboot of Captain Pike, but overall the series itself is still one of my favorites. The moral lessons of Gene Roddenberry's creation were undeniable, and to this day still ring true. Despite the old school effects, sexist roles, and somewhat hokey storyline presentations, I'm drawn to the series time and again.
Being open and reserving judgement when you first meet a person...taking away a valuable lesson in what it means to be human - these are the things that made Star Trek great. I'd venture to guess that Gene would have been thrilled by JJ Abrams reboots thus far. They incorporate modern technology and vintage aspects of the original series on an alternate timeline. The possibilities are endless, though I'm certain the instalments are finite.
I like that anyone who knows me is aware of my penchant for science fiction and of my love for Star Trek. Whether they themselves love the series and movies or they are just familiar enough to know what I'm talking about when I reference something Trek related, just the fact that they are well aware of my affinity for it makes me smile. I'm a big ass, sci-fi dork and I believe that Star Trek kicks Star Wars' ass, and I don't care if you agree.
Without a doubt, I will go see the newest offering again. In IMAX. Because dude...damn! Nebulas, bad guys, space-age motorcycles, and actors who reprise roles made famous by others with so much accuracy it's crazy! And the tributes....nearly bawled my way out of the theater. Honestly, in my opinion, there isn't a bad Star Trek (ok, ok, with the exception of The Final Frontier. That shit was just plain AWFUL. Everything about Sybok's quest was suggestive of cult brainwashing and religious fanaticism. I essentially discount that movie when I talk about the entire franchise. That, and Voyager. I had zero interest in that series, and thankfully they never made a movie from it.
After watching the very first episode of a series and culture I have come to love, it will be a binge-watching experience like no other. From the beginning with every cheesy, over-dramatic delivery of lines, over the top sexual connotations and total gender bias. I imagine Gene would be all about Lt. Uhura kicking ass and taking names were he alive to see it today. Hey, it's what I tell myself. Anyone who can create a story that promotes equality, acceptance and peace over war would most certainly be open to gender equality, right?
The few hiccups in the world of futuristic space exploration surrounding the depiction of women are being soothed by this rejuvenating reboot of a beloved world. I, for one, am all about fierce females fighting alongside males without inference of their feminity. The damsel in distress bit has long since gone by the wayside, thankfully making room for strong, independent and relatable females who kick ass.This girl has never been and will never be a housewife, and I'll always love Star Trek. Old, new, it's all the same. Empowerment comes from building others up and not tearing them down. When will the world finally see that and practice it?
No comments:
Post a Comment