Thursday, July 7, 2016

Customer Service Seems To Be MIA These Days

As much as I profess to hate people in general (we are assholes, after all) I've developed the ability to smooth over rough situations that could otherwise have ended badly. Being empathetic and positive are essential if you work with the public; essential, but sometimes incredibly difficult to muster. Customer Service is a term that is overused and generalized, as it is part of nearly every customer facing/interactive job. The problem is, it's also a lost art.

My sons have complained that I gripe when we are out, particularly in a restaurant, and they find it embarrassing. Well, first off, as a parent it is my right and duty to embarrass them in public. Second, pointing out that I specifically asked for 'no onions' because I have an allergy, only to be served a dish laden with them isn't unreasonable. The embarrassment should be on the server/establishment as food allergies are serious business, not to mention that it shows the lack of attention to customers. Now, I completely understand that people make mistakes, but when it consistently happens at a particular restaurant, it's time to stop my patronage. While the boys may dread dining out with me, the fact is they are getting a lesson in what they should expect customer service-wise.

I ran out to grab lunch on Sunday and finding my first choice was far busier than I had time for, I opted to procure sustenance at another nearby eatery. From the moment I walked through the door I was grading the counter person's lack of professionalism. Yes, I am aware that food service is one of the most underappreciated and grueling jobs with the least financial compensation, but still. Reciting the days sales of lobster rolls, while on the phone and ignoring customers in line was strike number one. Attempting to explain (complete with glossed over apology) that it was the boss was the second. And this was to the people in line ahead of me. I should have walked out then, but pressed for time I held out hope that things might improve. When it was my turn, I inquired about the lobster rolls. I'd just been treated to a conversation that regaled their popularity, however inappropriate it was for me to be privy to, after all. Counter guy hemmed and hawed, grabbed the sign advertising said lobster rolls from some place under the counter and proceeded to tell me that while yes they did serve them, they weren't serving anymore for the day. He paused and added that he thought they were all out. I bit my tongue. In my head I was having a conversation with him - You 'think' you're out? You mean you aren't going to check? Of course, I just wanted to get something to eat, so I didn't say a word, I just ordered something else on the menu.

As if that wasn't irritating enough, when I ordered, he looked at me like I had three heads and proceeded to go back to the cook (still well within visibility and earshot) and mock my order. Like seriously mocking me. Now, if you follow this blog at all or know me personally, you're aware that I am on a strict elimination diet. No complex carbs - at all. I understand that it may seem odd to those who aren't familiar with it, but honestly when you order food a specific way, shouldn't it just be accepted and carried out without question? The menu consisted of salads, sandwiches, and tater tot concoctions. Granted, I knew this going in, but I figured I could just order something sans bread and condiments. I certainly hadn't anticipated being mocked in front of the rest of the patrons. Counter guy came back to the register (I'd already paid) and asked if I wanted my choice on lettuce. This would have been great customer service in my eyes, had he not just made a big show of my order moments before. I seized the opportunity to briefly explain that I was on a restrictive diet, and I know the order sounded bizarre, but I couldn't eat the bread or any condiments. It was lost on him based on his facial expression. I left resolute to not return, though I should have grabbed a business card and contacted the manager. I don't like to stir shit up, but basic customer service is the simplest tool to use when you interact with customers. I don't understand how businesses fail so miserably to teach it. It should be a non-negotiable part of working with the public.

Due to circumstances beyond control, a co-worker of mine was unable to make it into the barber shop for a client. This client was waiting for 45 minutes by the time I came in to start my shift. I had had a cancellation and was able to accommodate him. The absolute first thing I did was to apologize for his long wait. We serve complimentary adult beverages and while we normally limit them to one, he was offered a second as well as an add-on service, free of charge. Small gestures really, but worth their weight in gold when you want to ensure repeat business. I chatted with this client and despite knowing my clients were there waiting (albeit quite early) I did not rush through the services. Most of our conversation was on random parts of life, but we started with his unfortunate experience and long wait. By allowing him to vent without attempting to gloss the incident over, he felt valued. We discussed the city's parking issues (which ultimately was the factor in his stylist's not coming in) and though a reason was given for the wait, it wasn't delivered in a way that minimized his experience. This client left the barbershop less stressed and assuaged. Winning this client, in particular, over was no small feat. He works in a similar environment, so like me, he has high expectations for customer service. Without a doubt, I know three things from this interaction: 1) he will be returning, 2) he will be in my chair, and 3) I should probably consider teaching customer service because I am highly skilled at it.

The biggest problem today, aside from the fact that many businesses don't instill customer service expectations or offer training, to begin with, is that people (employees) immediately take a customer's bad experience as a personal attack. Once they feel as though they're being questioned or targeted, all focus and concern of the customer's experience being positive go out the window. Granted, not every negative customer situation is the fault of the establishment; some people are impossible to please, but that is no excuse for a total lack of professionalism. Ego is detrimental to customer facing positions. Pride is beneficial, but only if it is about a job well done. It's so disheartening to see less and less of this in the world. It doesn't matter how amazing the food is or how great the goods are, without customer service a customer's experience is either memorable for all the wrong reasons (and word of mouth is still the number one advertisement) or so forgettable they won't think to bring their business back again. As a patron who understands being on the other side of the register (so to speak) I find there are fewer and fewer places I'm willing to frequent these days. I am happy, however, that there are establishments who value the customer and prove it by exercising the simplest, yet most essential practices known as great customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment