Friday, July 22, 2016

I See More Clearly The Older I Get

The older I get the more understanding and compassion I have for people and their situations. Of course, I have also become less tolerant of other things. I always wondered when I was younger how it is that the older generation got so cut and dry with certain things. It seemed to me they were simply out of touch with their surroundings and just plain ornery because they weren't young anymore. Recognizing my own changes in opinion and point-of-view, I realized now that it really has little to do with either of those.

I'm far from old but I am older than that young version of me. I had no basis for a broad range of consideration. Back then compassion was reserved for those I could relate to, and those I couldn't well, it was too much effort to put myself in their shoes Even if I could have, I'm not sure I would have had the life experience and wisdom to adequately understand. I wouldn't necessarily say that I was close-minded, but I certainly wasn't as open to possibilities and difference as I am today.

Being young, for me, there was a surplus of energy, a carefree approach to nearly everything, and less stress about life and all the changes, pitfalls, and unexpected events. The more experience I gain the more understanding I have. Once you've gone through something you can't forget it; your perception is forever changed or broadened, and your attitude toward the world around you either becomes more jaded or more compassionate. I'd say overall, I've gained more of the latter. Life is far too short to spend carrying negative energy and narrow views.

It is true that there are some things I am still quite opinionated about, and unlike my younger self, I have a solid foundation of reasoning behind those things. It doesn't mean that I will never come to a different way of seeing them, but any potential change in position won't occur with the blowing of the wind. These days I seek out more information and truly work to build a strong understanding of a situation or event before owning my view on it. Sometimes I fail to recognize things that would make a difference, but for the most part, I'm not as quick to weigh in just to be heard.

I thought that I would hate getting older. There are some aspects of the aging process that I don't enjoy and will likely never embrace enthusiastically, but overall I love the experience. I no longer have a limited perspective on the older generation and their relation to the world. The 'one day you'll understand' type of statements that used to infuriate me now make me smile. I do understand and I know that in 10 years there will be more that becomes clear. It's like reading a book; in the beginning, you cannot imagine all that the end will reveal, but as you progress through the pages, how you feel, and what you think slowly change. When you reach a point in the story where you can almost see where the author is taking you, you also develop an appreciation for the fact that having a good idea doesn't mean you won't still be surprised by things as you near the last few chapters. You learn through the story to keep an open mind without even realizing you are.

If we are open to possibilities, we are naturally more compassionate and understanding. Some people are fortunate enough to figure this out early on in their life, the rest of us play catch up for far too long. Growing older is without a doubt the best thing I've experienced and the catalyst for who I continue to become. It's been incredible so far and I know it's just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment