Oh, the in-between moments. They are easy to try and skip past, and I spent a fair amount of my life ignoring all the little magical things that happen in between the big stuff. I wish I had changed my thinking sooner, but I'm happy that I came around at all. There is nothing quite like living a full life and that isn't possible without those times that we'd readily pass through without paying attention.
The most average of days have dotted my life rather frequently. Some of my favorite memories of my sons and I were on days such as those. Unplanned, lacking any real excitement, but I chose to focus on the conversations and interactions that tied my memory to those otherwise forgettable hours. Even the times that seem to have no real purpose can have enormous potential if you just stop looking ahead long enough to see it.
I imagine that more than half of all the memories I have would never have graced me had I continue to rush through the minutes, hours and days that would ultimately produce them. All those impromptu laughs would be forever silent, the energy generated by excitement and fun would never have been created, and all those times I fell in love with life all over again would have eluded my heart. There doesn't need to be a lead-up, pomp and circumstance, or a banner event to hold my attention, just the ability to appreciate whatever the day holds, big, small or indifferent. It doesn't matter to me if the amazement and wonder last a few minutes or a lifetime if it is strong enough to produce a memory, it is well worth embracing.
No comments:
Post a Comment