Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Absolutely Flabbergasted

Gah! I stepped outside to talk to my neighbors, left zucchini cooking on low, and came back in far later than I expected I would to the smell of burnt food. Thankfully I caught it before anything too terrible happened, aside from the wretched smell permeating every square inch of air in here. And the doors are open!

It's always a good idea to pay attention to things, particularly when you start forgetting little things because you've taken on too much. I have been guilty of burning the candle at both ends more often than not, though the all-consuming issues I am currently dealing with are not of my making. There are only so many things a person can keep in order, where life runs smooth and everything gets done. Throw a couple of situations that have a degree of urgency to them in the mix and then everyday tasks start falling by the wayside — or food gets burned, and that neat and orderly life has turned to chaos.

Right now, there isn't enough time in the day to do all I normally do and look for a new place to live while simultaneously trying to get ready to move. Five days ago my neighbors and I received an email from our landlord expressing potential plans to sell the condo units we all rent. We were told we had 30 days to decide if we wanted to purchase them ourselves before they would be put on the market. None of us want to buy here for a variety of reasons, but I hadn't expected that my condo would be shown four days later, or that we'd be subjected to increased traffic — we are at the end of a quiet residential street, virtually hidden from view. Brokers and potential buyers are driving into the parking lot, idling in the middle of it as they gawk at the buildings, presumably looking for the numbers of units clearly well known (though not listed on the market) to be up for grabs.

We are a social bunch and often gather outside in the nice weather for impromptu get-togethers, though the cars driving in and out and the stress of having been given no time, nor official notice of when we need to move have made it far less enjoyable the past few days. Two of us have school-aged children and all of us are single income households. To be given no formal notice and days later have a real estate broker taking photos and showing units is just not right.

Moving is an expense that most people plan for, from taking the time to find a place to saving the money for security deposits or down payments, and all the other expenses that accompany setting up home in a new place. Displacing six households without proper notice, expecting to be allowed to have prospective buyers in and out of  each unit less than a week after making mention there was a possibility of selling, and leaving a 'cleaning' checklist with each renter is unconscionable.  None of us has chosen to break the lease and move of our own accord, so why on earth should we be expected to go through the expense of professional carpet cleaning, nail hole patching, and general cleaning on top of having to frantically find new homes and attempt to pull together the funds needed to secure that housing?

We are all good tenants, and while I have only lived here three years, my neighbors have been here for seven, ten and even thirteen years. Had any of us chosen to leave, we would have given 30 days notice and done the appropriate exit tasks. We would also have had time prepare mentally, logistically and financially. Having had five days to absorb the shock of it all, I find I'm in a state of incredulous disbelief. The reality that there are three of the four of the six households looking for similar rentals, in a market that isn't offering many affordable or desirable options, just compounds the whole situations. Purchasing isn't an option any of us feel as viable because we aren't being given an appropriate amount of time to search. Buying property for most people, especially single income households isn't something that should be rushed, not to mention the process typically takes at least a month from start to finish, and we clearly aren't going to have that kind of time.

There are times when I feel less badly about going through a tough time when I know I am not alone, but the fact that there are six of us being booted out just makes it all the worse. I feel awful for my own situation for sure, but knowing that my neighbors — people who have become good friends — are struggling to process the news, as well as trying to work while having to schedule rental viewings and find ways to eventually come up with roughly $4,000 in moving expenses with no warning, there is just no comfort in that. Amidst all of this upheaval and stress is the slow realization that the family unit we have formed is being forced apart. This little community of souls who care for each other, help one another and have built friendships together will scatter across the surrounding towns wherever and whenever new shelter is found.

I may have known that this day would come at some point, but I had thought it would be on my terms. The possibility of having it forced on me in such a surprising and increasingly pushy way never crossed my mind. I can't help but be a little heartbroken and wind knocked at the moment. When the first of us moves, it's going to be a sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment