Thursday, July 7, 2016

I Talk. A Lot. But I've Learned To Listen, Too.

I talk a lot. I've always been chatty. As my mother tells it, I started carrying on conversations at a year-and-a-half old and never stopped. My gift for gab has become a bit more refined and self-controlled over the years, but conversation is never far from me.

Wherever I go people happen. What I mean to say is that I either strike up a discussion with random strangers or people seem to hone in on my location and start talking to me. I would say that despite my lack of desire to engage in pleasantries outside of work, my energy is such that I find myself often at the mercy of someone far more gifted in the speaking words rapidly department than I. Maybe this is my karma for being so precocious when I was young, or maybe I am just that person who is destined to be a listening ear and provide company to those who need it in their lives. Either way, it would appear that short of removing myself from the general public, I'm going to continue experiencing all manner of interactions when I'm congregating with the masses.

I realize that anyone who happens to be out and about with me is subjected to this fate by default. It doesn't often occur to me to warn people that this is a likely occurrence in the course of our explorations and shenanigans, though anyone who's been out with me more than once has likely come to this realization on their own. Call it a career-related hazard or call it dumb luck, I'm the most likely person I know to end up in a lengthy conversation with someone I don't know and will probably never see again.

I'm not complaining. I am curious by nature and have a genuine interest in other people's lives. The other side of that is I've learned how to sit on my own thoughts and resist the urge to interject out of courtesy, as well as the desire to end the conversation at some point. My talkative days are far from over, but they are certainly more within my conscious control than they ever were at 10. Whether I'm truly interested in what someone is saying or I just feel like I need to listen because maybe there aren't many conversational opportunities for this person, my life is more interesting and more well-rounded because of it. I don't think this is a trait that I will wish away anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment