I think that once in a blue moon I realize that maybe something in my life is working out well - without much conscious awareness from me because I finally let all the right elements in. Once I realize I've been experiencing something beneficial, however, I'm always aware of it. Aware and conscious of my efforts to keep that good thing going strong. I have to laugh at myself because the truth in whatever it is was plain to see despite how long I may have taken to recognize it.
Before I knew it, working out became part of my schedule and it didn't require the effort it did in the beginning. The gains I've experienced are the tell-all giveaway that this somthing is a positive change in my life. While I was actively on the lookout for physical changes, I hadn't anticipated the reinforcement of positive energy and determination. It took awhile to recognize those things, but since I have, I've made certain to apply them in every area of life that they are useful.
Being active is essential to me. I grew up in a time that didn't always encourage fitness. Women were still viewed as weak, lifting weights was for men and my elders were old before their time. I remember thinking as a kid, looking at photos of my grandparents in their mid-40s, that I didn't want to ever get to that age. That generation aged themselves long before their time. My mother is now 62 and she doesn't look as old as her mother did at 40 something. It's incredible how we have managed to hold onto youth longer, in a sense, because we are focusing on health and fitness these days. I can't speak for statistics and I know that there are still far too many people who do, but smoking seems less of an issue with people my age and younger. Without a doubt, that is a big factor in looking younger.
Reaping the benefits of hard work and focused energy, I often wonder if this particular path will continue to yield surprises that better my existence. Beyond the stronger and healthier body, the apprecitation for routine, and the mental clarity that I currently enjoy, is there more that can be gained down the road from continuing to challenge myself? I'm willing to bet there is. I believe that good things in life continue to produce positive effects, so long as we continue to appreciate and nurture them. This is definitely one good thing that I won't soon slack off on, quite the contrary, I will likely increase my dedication and diligence. Being better than I was yesterday will always be a good thing worth holding onto.
No comments:
Post a Comment