Monday, September 15, 2014

Somewhere In The Jumble, There Is Order

It never fails. The moment I sit down with my laptop, every intention of getting some writing done, Oliver gets comfortable on my lap for his morning nap. This wasn't so bad when he was little, but now that he has grown, I have to push my MacBook further out on my legs. The upside? Good posture and excellent arm stretches.

As much as I might initially groan about the challenge this curled up, purring mass of fur presents, it doesn't really last long enough to inhibit progress. It's a comfort thing. He likes to fall asleep, or at least nearly asleep and then stretches and moves to occupy the space beside me. Occasionally, he gives me that look of 'hey, I'm trying to sleep here' when I get into a groove and the keystrokes become a bit louder. Most often, however, he tolerates the sound of keys clicking, and eventually falls into whatever kitty dreams he's prone to having.

If I can push through the brief interruption of flow while he forces me to make room for him, and then the subsequent upheaval as he vacates that space, then his adorable cuteness is little match for my determination to create something of substance. He is pretty damn cute, though. It's my thinking that if I can resist the urge to take pictures, cuddle, or ooh and ahh over him and get things done, then I ought to be able to avoid falling prey to other distractions (ie, social media, netflix). That's one hell of a challenge.

Focus. There are days I have, and then there are those days where a person might think I'd never heard of it. Today, I'm somewhere in the middle. If I reign in my thoughts, I'm capable of a good stretch of concentration and productivity. There are always a number of things that need to get done, including playtime with a rambunctious kitten, but I don't need to let them consume my entire day. Now to put that into practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment