Sunday, September 7, 2014

I'm Happier When Those Around Me Are Happy, Too

Such perfect weather today. Were I to imagine a utopian setting, today's sun, temperatures, and slight breeze would be it. It's tempting to believe that weather like that would make it near impossible to be upset or have an off day. Well, at least I know that great weather makes it easier to smile and breathe in the happy.

I was pretty much overflowing with gratitude as I spent time with my sons, walked around an amazing city, and enjoyed cooking with tomatoes my fabulous neighbor shared with me. Just a basic spaghetti sauce, but just chopping up fresh vegetables, and adding Italian sausage gave me a small feeling of accomplishment. Of course, listening to Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr., Louis Armstrong, and other crooners intensified the feel good vibes. For me, any kind of cooking isn't really cooking, unless there's irresistible music playing.

My youngest son and I sit here now, completely stuffed, and I cannot help but realize how fortunate I have been to have the life I have lived. Knowing there are even more amazing things just in front of me, it is even more obvious to me to pay the positive energy forward. So much of what I am thankful for, and so many of the people I am blessed to know, would have far less meaning were it not for fulfilling the desire to be more cognizant of sharing the love and happiness that all of it produces.

If I were to hoard the excitement, the comfort, the joy, then it is likely I'd receive less and less of it in the future. By sharing the elation and the buoyant effect of all that is positive in my life; either by directly making someone else happy, or radiating that energy wherever I go, I help create and perpetuate happiness and a continuous flow of positivity. The best thing about that, is that it isn't even remotely difficult. There is almost no thought required to bestow good feelings on those around you, unlike the time and effort that negative energy requires. In my opinion, it's far easier to smile, and a smile is the best way to boost that field of positive energy that surrounds us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment