Saturday, September 27, 2014

It's Really Over

My last day working in Auburn was something I had dreaded and looked forward to for completely different reasons. The end of one chapter and the beginning of another, and it all happened with very little fanfare. The beginning and the close of the day were memorable, however.

Waiting in line to get a dark roast Dunkin coffee (and I am not really a fan of Dunkin Donuts at all), I rolled up to the window ready to pay for my order. The girl working the drive-up window handed me my coffee and breakfast sandwich (sans bread) and then told me the woman ahead of me had paid for my order. I've had this happen before, and I've done this for others as well, but it always has the same effect on me - renewed faith in the positive energy and amazing goodwill of others.

I went on to spend an hour and a half catching up with a great friend, before heading in to start my final day. We talked about a lot of things, and most of them we hadn't ever really touched on in the near decade we've been friends. I absolutely love the fact that there will always be things about my friends that I have yet to discover. No possible chance of boredom that way.

All scheduled appointments went off without a hitch, and then it was done. I left the salon feeling odd that each time I return, I will be a client and not a stylist. Definitely a most surreal experience after 18 years working in that area.

The end of the night went on far longer than intended, but being in the company of two incredible people made the departure in the wee hours of the morning worth it. Even through the ADD episodes, and less than chipper topics, there was really nowhere else I would rather have been than with them. Just a day of letting life happen, and feeling everything good that flowed around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment