Why can I not find a decent smut novel? I read a few chapters in and all the potential the story may hold is thwarted by the pathetically lame character development. It's difficult to believe the smut when the characters are completely unbelievable and unrelatable. I'd like to just once read a book cover to cover without rolling my eyes in contempt for the characters the author has served up.
Is it impossible to give character's depth and believability, while also having them engage in tawdy naughtiness? Clearly not. At least not that I've found. J.A. Huss' work is the closest I've come to decent smut reading. Despite the settings not being relatable, the character deveopment and steamy sex were believable as a unit. I wish there were more like it.
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to indulge in mindless reading of the smut kind, I want to at least be entertained without irritating inconsistencies. Not all of us who read this genre want the lead to be some virginal, inexperienced dipshit. I mean, aren't there strong, intelligent women being written about? Damn it, I want to feel represented in the erotic novel genre. If I can't relate to the character at all, I can't finish the book.
I don't think that it's too much to ask. Smart, independent women have great sex, and they also don't mind reading racy fiction, so long as there is some shred of interest in the characters. It is possible I haven't looked hard enough for an author that delivers this, but since I don't read this type of book all that often it's no surprise I haven't scoured the ebook selections a bit more thoroughly. I hold out hope that I will stumble across a decently written story one day. Until then, I'm open to suggestions!
No comments:
Post a Comment