Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Comfort Zones Are Overrated

Expanding your view of the world, particularly the one that immediately surrounds you, is essential to a full life. Narrow views lead to fewer experiences and that drastically reduces options for finding activities and people that bring happiness. There is a trade-off in many cases — you have to be willing to risk failing or getting hurt. More often than not, the outcome is worth stepping out of your comfort zone.

It isn't often I look back on something and wish I hadn't risked failing, even when I did fail, which I've done a lot. Some of the best lessons and experiences I've had came as a result of failing. Every time I've stumbled I find my balance again, the more I keep trying the quicker I right myself and the better I get at whatever it is I'm attempting.

I use to approach new things with the mindset 'the worst thing that could happen is I fail', but I've come to realize that the worst thing would be never having tried. Failure isn't always a negative thing. It can be the foundation, the building block of something amazing. I cannot imagine all the memories I wouldn't have, the changes in the person I am that would not have happened the way they have, or what my view of life would be had I not chosen to take chances when they presented themselves.

The drive to be a more positive person required me to leave my comfort zone of a lackluster existence. Those days when I feel the familiar drag of negativity, I am thankful I took the Universe up on its challenge and risked maintaining my status quo. Particularly because I now enjoy my own company, which is a nice change from feeling ill-placed in my own skin.

The best part of this more open approach to living is that I see possibilities where I once saw only the fear of failure. I don't worry as much about the 'end' result and can enjoy the journey. Whether it is trying something I haven't done before or getting to know someone new, just getting over the initial 'what ifs' and nervousness or fear will open the world you exist in immensely. Those feelings and thoughts are a speed bump and not a barrier you shouldn't cross. Risk something that you will gain more from by failing than by never trying at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment