When life presents you with unexpected situations, how do you respond? I'm prone to analyzing the shit out of whatever details there are, often either talking myself out of something or unnecessarily stressing about all the 'what ifs'. This is par for the course, even when the universe puts something with the potential to be a good thing in my path. I stop short of calling myself cynical, but I don't exactly approach the unknowns with the kind of positive mindset I've been working to adopt.
No matter how much I grow and improve as a person, there will always be something else I should work on doing better. Maybe this should discourage me, but I actually welcome the challenges that await me. Every time I have the opportunity to work on myself, I try to welcome it.
The same goes for risks. I've always been cautious and with good reason. Raising two boys alone doesn't allow for much in the way of taking chances. Over time, as they have grown up, I recognize that some risks are worth the change that can come as a result of being willing to take them. Now, the risks I consider are related to a life after full-time/active parenting changes pace. My future happiness and success really are being plotted with decisions I make today and avoiding them because of 'what ifs' just doesn't make sense. Not unless I have no desire to enjoy life after kids.
I'm committed to practicing a positive outlook and focusing on the possibilities those unexpected happenings contain. This resolve pricks my curiosity as to what is to come. I'm up for whatever challenge is waiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment