Monday, March 7, 2016

Excuses Just Make More Work

There's an unwritten rule in my home: If either of my sons gripes about a) what's for dinner, or b) there being nothing to eat (aka I don't want to put effort into feeding myself) they are on their own to feed themselves. My youngest son is the biggest offender of this, and honestly, it's partially my fault. I've done everything food related for him for far too long. For the past six months, that has not been the case.

As I write this, this wonderfully talented and loving young man is brooding in the kitchen attempting to cook his own dinner. Earlier, he texted me to find out what was for dinner and when I suggested he make something he began the long back and forth of rejecting every idea I tried to give him. Excuses galore — he's well practiced at producing these without missing a beat. I might have cooked dinner when I got home just 15 minutes later, but the extent to which he whined about it solidified my decision to let him fend for himself.

Whether he likes it or not he's going to be subjected to teachable moments whenever I see an opportunity. Especially when it will also get him more involved in a dietary plan HE chose. If this is the meanest thing I ever subject him to, I probably have to amp it up in the drive my son to embarrassment and frustration department. Besides, I'm fairly certain that (at least initially) he's going to appreciate when I do cook for him and likely won't complain.

Ooo, he likes what he cooked. Well, this is good news, really. Maybe he'll cook more of his own free will. Of course, I told him (not showed) how to make a cheese sauce tonight so it's understandable that he's thrilled with his culinary skills. This could eventually work to my advantage...hehehehe

Yeah, this 'tough love' parenting thing may have some benefits besides producing responsible, self-reliant adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment