Tuesday, March 15, 2016

There's Always Tomorrow

Despite the fact that I could totally benefit from a huge dose of caffeine, I've managed to get more done today than I thought I would when I first began to tackle the day. Just that alone is an accomplishment — seeing the bigger picture and being impressed with my efforts so far. Yeah, today wasn't perfect and it could have frustrated me several times, but the fact that I didn't let all that could go wrong get to me, I am going to unabashedly pat myself on the back.

You know what? I think it's time I did more of that. This whole 'pat myself on the back' thing. Why shouldn't I be proud of myself and show it? It seems rather silly now to think of all the years I thought I had nothing to celebrate just because nothing big had taken place.

Could I have done more today? Maybe, but I think I could say that more often than not after the fact. While the day is unfolding and things crop up, we don't have the luxury of hindsight, nor can we always make adjustments to time management, because hey, shit happens. I am by far the least forgiving of myself than I could ever be of someone else, so being able to resist the urge to play down my happiness at what I managed to do during any given day is a huge step forward.

The things that we place so much importance on are quite often things that, if we just step away for long enough, aren't even remotely deserving of the copious amounts of energy we seem to pour into them. I understand more and more every day why so much  creedence has been given to mantras like 'don't sweat the small stuff' and 'will this matter a year from now'. It often doesn't matter what is left to do, because it rarely has a huge impact on the weeks ahead. Get the importanct stuff done and whatever is left, tackle it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment