I don't understand shows like Teen Mom (Teen Mom 2). I don't get 'reality-based' shows in general, really. I just have no interest in them, and they seem like exploitation of people's hardships and crappy choices. Why is any of that entertaining?
I have a theory about this. It's easier to watch someone else's life and cast judgment from our armchairs to feel better about ourselves than actually put the work in to fix the things we don't like. If taking joy in other's failures is what it takes to feel secure in myself, I'll take insecurity any day. Fortunately, that isn't the case. As a matter of fact it is so unbelievably the opposite.
I go about my days churning out as many positive thoughts as I can, because this is my path to happy. When I feel good about the way I see the world around me it's easy to be content. What's even better however, is the ability to celebrate — genuinely feel great about someone else's high points. When you build those around you up, embracing their joy and happiness, it's really impossible to let the negative bullshit work its way in.
We don't need to revel in someone else's misfortunes to recognize our worth in the world. There needs to be more compassion and appreciation, and we need to look to how we live, as well as how we conduct ourselves. If joy is derived from the things that pain other people, it really isn't worth seeking at all. I just hope that more of us realize that there really is something to the 'get more bees with honey' philosophy — really. When you celebrate the good, you benefit from more good.
No comments:
Post a Comment