Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Significance of the Day is Lost on Me

I don't do Valentine's Day. I find the holiday ridiculous, not to mention insulting in the modern theme that insinuates women are shallow and greedy. No, I make certain to take every opportunity to show a person that I care about them, not save it all for one day. My expectations of anyone I date are the same.

It's just another day on the calendar as far as I'm concerned. Well, this year it's a little more. The Walking Dead season 6 continues tonight. Now that is something worth celebrating with wine and chocolate! Mhmmm!

When my sons were younger, the 'holiday' was acknowledged. It's tough to avoid it when every classroom makes a monumental deal of it. I suppose it doesn't hurt kids to get the gist of communicating feelings, I just wish that the level of commercialism and the focus on saving all your best for this one day wouldn't be so prevalent. I tried to work some sort of balance into my sons' impressions of what the day means. Hopefully, they choose partners who share the opinion that it's just another day.

Flowers, chocolate, dinner, dancing...whatever tokens of affection you choose are even more special when they are randomly bestowed. For no reason other than to express what someone means to you. Waiting for one day to do that is risking far too much. Too much to chance losing track of the perfect words, passing by the moment when a kind gesture or simple gift could have made far more of a difference or too late to spend time with that one and only that you can never get back.

I'm not against the holiday altogether. I just wish more people would make efforts that count whenever they get the chance instead of waiting for that one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment