There is nothing quite like spending time with people who have been in your life for years. When you have a history with a select few people that runs deep with many memories — these are the people who often know more about you than even your family. If you are fortunate to have maintained friendships from your childhood/teen years, don't let go of these gems.
I have three friends from high school that I cannot imagine life without. I think I always knew we'd be friends for the long haul. Sure, we had our times of discord when we were younger, but as we've grown into ourselves, the ability to appreciate our differences and celebrate who we all have become is second nature.
It is like being allowed to visit the fun of our teenage years, without having to constantly live in the past. We may talk about those first years from time to time, but most of what we discuss these days is the present. One of the great things about these friends is the instant and ever-present ease there is when we get together. We are long past having to assess what we say before we say it, and there really isn't much we can't talk about. These things can only happen when enough tears and laughter have created trust.
I can't wait (well, ok I'm not in any great rush) to see these wonderful women thirty years from now. The best part about that is that I know we will get to that point. No matter where we are, what our ailments might be, we will always laugh and we will always be in the best of company.
No comments:
Post a Comment