It isn't unusual to find ourselves miles from where we used to be, surrounded by few of the things we once held close or holding a polar opposite view from what we previously had about nearly anything. We get introduced or we discover something new, and without even realizing it we forgot about whatever came before. I'm pretty sure it wasn't always this way, but given the world we live in now, it's easier to move on from one thing to another and then to another without even being fully aware we're doing it. Sure, we still make conscious choices to try new things and leave old habits and relationships in the past. How many of us though, would even realize it had been ages since we saw our once favorite shirt, or tasted a food we used to consume regularly unless either were put in front of our faces?
There are storage totes, both in my basement and above my parent's garage, that I honestly couldn't say what was in them without opening them. I'm willing to bet that upon going through them I would find at least one item that I'd be floored to have forgotten about. One item that prior to being packed away, I saw or used on a regular basis. How crazy is it that life happened and I was none the wiser to it's missing status from my days?
My fear is, in coming to this realization, that there are more than things that have been forgotten along the way. People who somehow just got lost in the shuffle of the forward motion I live my life in. I know there are some amazing souls who I've completely skipped on without realizing they were missing. Of course, it would seem they had also done the same.
I wonder if it is better to remember, feel remiss and contemplate how so much time passed without awareness of their absence or to have no recollection of who is no longer part of my own big picture. I think I'd like to remember simply for the sake of mentally cataloging what has brougtht me to this place in life, if for no other reason. I'd take that over remember those I chose to leave behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment