I often use visualization (ok, so maybe it's really daydreaming in my case) to change my thinking. Particularly when the thoughts I'm generating aren't positive in nature. No matter how silly or hokey it sounds, it actually works pretty well. Granted, I've moved past the intense negativity I once had, so seeing myself on a beach in the sun, living elsewhere in the winter, or doing what I love full-time inspires me instead of making the bad attitude worse. It's likely this sort of practice comes with age, but I'd prefer to think it is the result of working to become a better version of myself.
So back to my daydrea...I mean, visualization. Whether it is with fitness, work, vacation or writing I have some regular go-to images that keep me on track, or get me back in motion toward whatever it is I want to achieve. This is incrediby helpful when the goal I've set is further in the future than a few weeks. Distractions are often too tempting to ignore and once you spread your attentions all over the place, it's easier for the naysayer within to get in a few good jabs. I don't like allowing self-doubt or undue criticism root itself in my mind, especially when it is using space and energy that would otherwise be better used making progress.
I never felt comfortable expecting great things in life. For a variety of reasons I didn't think someone like me deserved them. Some that, for lack of a better way of phrasing it, was damaged. I figured my story was written and there was no changing it. Imagine going through your entire life thinking you had to just live with whatever the day presented, like you had no control or say in it all. How could you possibly enjoy anything if you didn't think you'd earn it, or worse, deserved to be happy? Crazy as it seems to me now, I spent the better part of three decades in that very frame of mind.
That is a place I won't go back to again. If it takes conjuring up daydre...visualizations multiple times a day, I'd rather spend time thinking about what is possible and completely doable then fixated on all that could go wrong, or won't work. It doesn't matter how long it takes me to reach a goal, so long as I reach it. I know what works for me to stay focused and motivated, and that's really all I need to know along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment