Friday, February 26, 2016

Dressing Rooms are the Worst Part of Shopping

Watching The Office, I'm on the fence as to whether I would survive a day working in that environment. I'd laugh my ass off. I'd get no work done. I'd drop-kick Michael.

Seriously though, that character is beyond annoying to me. I want to throttle him nearly every episode. Alright, maybe I'm a little easy to irritate, but the idiocy makes me grit my teeth. Why do I continue watching? Well, my son is actually the one who watches it, and I love the whole Jim-Dwight dynamic. No clue why Dwight doesn't grate my nerves and Michael does, it's crazy.

I've worked with people who were not quick to understand things, who were essentially children in disguise as adults, and who were so unethical it was appauling. Granted, not everyone fell into one of those categories, and there were a number of people who made going to an office without windows everyday bearable. I don't miss it though. I'm energetic and relatively efficient, but I work better without having to be surrounded by office drama. And there was always lots of drama.

Were I able to tolerate it on a regular basis, it would be a great source of plot lines for a series of seedy books. I could always just go shopping and try clothes on. The most ridiculous and exasperating conversations occur in dressing rooms. Earlier today I happened to be in a dressing room and overheard (like I had any choice in the matter) two women chatting back and forth as though no one else was within earshot. Theirs was a conversation that was actually specific to what they were doing. Discussing the cut and fit of pants, shirts, etc. It was the third women in the dressing room who was annoying. Clearly on her cell phone, this female was egging her friend on to play head games with her boyfriend. It was nauseating to listen to the shallow advice she was giving. Part of me wanted to take her phone from her and tell the person on the other end to handle things with her guy like an adult and TALK about whatever the issue was. Of course, her friend was obviously feeling quite proud of the line of action she was pitching because her enthusiasm caused her volume to go up. The quicker I tried to get through trying the items on, the longer it took. I gave up and figured what didn't fit I could just bring back. No story idea would have been worth listening to the self-gratified tone of this chick telling her friend to be an immature cow.

That is the perfect example of why I don't particularly enjoy shopping, as well as why I am horribly bad at separating my irritations from what could be the seeds for potential stories. I like people-watching, but I don't like people thrusting their drama into my space without warning. I am also not a fan of women proving the various unfavorable stereotypes about our gender right. And this was a tangent three hours in the making...I'm a disorganized writer off in a million directions. I've also had The Office playing non-stop distracting me, making me laugh, and reminding me why I don't miss working in an office. With other people. And their drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment