Thursday, February 11, 2016

I Wish I Was More Deserving of the Title, Geek

I have an addiction to superhero/comic book movies and shows. Really bad addiction.

This girl is totally guilty of loving Tobey Maguire's Spiderman, particularly with James Franco's adversary, Harry Osborne. I probably am more of a fan of Franco than Maguire, but regardless, I love the version of the comic that includes the two of them. I must confess that because I am so tied to this version, I have yet to see the newer take on my favorite comic book hero.

X-Men is another favorite, though again, I am hesitant about seeing the latest offering with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. Don't get me wrong, I love J-Law, but Rebecca Romijn brought the character alive for me. Admittedly, she is not the best actress, but there was something perfect about her as that character. Oh ok, she's got a killer body. Lawrence is gorgeous as well, but Romijn's supermodel curves made her more the comic book villain in my eyes. Of course, my real loves of the first few X-Men movies are Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman. Hellooo! Good-looking men, who are incredible actors. Both iconic in their ways - perfect for Xavier and Wolverine.

Let's talk Batman. I'm fond of the Michael Keaton take, just because I've loved him since Beetlejuice - ok, more like since Mr. Mom. I am, however, in preference of Christian Bale's Dark Knight. It just seems so...him. Yeah, yeah, he's damn nice to look at, but honestly, he is who I envision Bruce Wayne to be. This whole Batman vs. Superman movie though? Nope. Absolutely NO desire to see it. Speaking of Superman, he is my least favorite superhero. I adored Christopher Reeves, and yes, I've seen his representations of Superman in the 80s countless times. He and Margot Kidder made even the truly awful Superman IV worth watching. Next to Reeve's Superman, Smallville is my favorite. This show was total CW, but Tom Welling was worth indulging in teen soap opera waters. Maybe my interest in the show went beyond the gorgeous smile and mesmerizing eyes of Welling, I think Reeve's appearance in two episodes was the added permission I needed to stop beating myself up over watching the series at all. Haven't had the desire to see anything Superman related since either of these two ended their run as the blue tights, cape wearing, larger than life chested character.

A couple of years ago I discovered Arrow on Netflix. I knew little to nothing of this comic book story, as my exposure to this whole superhero world was rooted in the most sensationalized of the lot. Instant fan. I binge watched the first season and sat impatiently waiting for the next. My DVR has been at the ready ever since, making certain I don't miss any of the Green Arrow saga. This show is right up there for me with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. I love that the show doesn't try to be realistic; the writers totally own the whole surreal events that could only occur in a comic book storyline. The fact that there is no shortage of beautiful actors doesn't hurt one bit either. This show has made me curious as to the comic book series, and that isn't something I've been interested in since Spider-man.

Who doesn't love Ironman? Well, at least not when he is brought to life by none other than former bad-boy Robert Downey Jr. I grew up watching him as an adorable, gapped-tooth bad boy who likely could have convinced me to do anything had I ever found myself staring into those big, brown eyes. It's great to see this guy, who couldn't stay out of trouble or away from drugs for the longest time, finally turn his life around and become a fantastic actor. Ironman and RDJ will forever be one in my mind.

So, I may have left out some show/movies that I shouldn't have, but the gist of this entire post was prompted by seeing the trailer to Deadpool. I've been aware of the comic but never read it. I would be lying if I said that my interest in seeing this movie didn't have everything to do with Ryan Reynolds playing the Marvel anti-hero. One hundred percent all about Reynolds. Hey, I'm nothing if not honest. If that hurts my level of geek, than so be it.

The real question is which comic camp do I prefer: Marvel or DC? Much as I enjoy DC, I'd have to say my preference is Marvel all the way. Like I said, Spidey was my first and forever favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment