Friday, September 16, 2016

Reliving Parts of Life Through Music

This week I've been posting some of my favorite songs from the 80s thanks to a friend challenging me. I don't always participate in social media challenges, but music? Hell yeah! It's been fun, though entirely difficult to choose just seven songs. Particularly because there are so many to choose from.

I have a relatively wide range of musical tastes, from Peter Gabriel to Slayer, Tool to Ed Sheeran, and Stevie Ray Vaughan to Lily Allen. The thing about music is no matter what mood I am in, there's a song for it. Listening to so many songs from years gone by has reminded me of things I'd forgotten. I may not have a specific memory tied to a tune, but the emotions the song evokes are undeniable and unforgettable. More often than not, it's a good thing to revive those emotions.

Last night, my Mister and I scrolled through YouTube and Spotify listening to 80s music. We got to see a glimpse of one another that we hadn't yet encountered. Thankfully, we are paired well when it comes to music. Our choices aren't identical, but alike enough to know we will be able to listen to nearly anything the other chooses to play. This is important to me as I find mutual enjoyment of music adds to the overall comfort of time spent together.

If given the choice of only one genre of music to listen to for the rest of my life, I would pick the blues. Hands down it is my favorite style of music and there are so many artists it would take a long time to get old. My love of Stevie Ray Vaughan scored serious points with the Mister, too. Not that I needed any what with my sci-fi and football obsessions. It doesn't hurt to stack the odds of compatibility high, however, and we just keep managing to find more and more similar interests, so hell yeah, I'll take it!

Back to 80s music. I imagine a few of my friends may wonder (having known me in the 80s) why I have not chosen songs from Bon Jovi or Def Leppard. Well, surprisingly, when I look back on that decade, despite gravitating toward those bands more often than not, there were far more fitting choices to make. Of course, I still know nearly every word to every song of these two bands from that time period (I demonstrated this to the Mister, complete with white chick dance moves and all), but I don't know that I could pick a favorite from the bunch. So, I set them aside in my considerations because this task has been tough enough without throwing the impossible into the mix. Only two days left...what on earth am I going to choose next?

No comments:

Post a Comment